Thursday, March 01, 2007

Yikes!

A magnitude 4.2 earthquake just hit the East San Francisco Bay area, about 35 miles from me. We've had a bunch of earthquakes in that area over the last few months, but this is the first one from that area that I've felt.

I've been wondering if these quakes are a portent of a Big One. Clusters of moderate-sized earthquakes in the same area are generally not a good sign. However, this latest quake occurred on a different fault than the others; I don't know if that's a good sign or a bad one.

I'm fine. It was big enough to be startling, but not big enough to do damage. I'm surprised that it's only a 4.2, actually. Given its distance (about 35 miles from my house), I would have guessed that it was larger (maybe a 5.0). I'm watching the TV news, and apparently that's a common feeling.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rian said...

That sounds very scary!

I was told in school that I live in an area where earthquakes are impossible, because of two reasons. It's not an area with tectonic plate movement, and additionally the special rocks that are in the ground act like a sponge. Even if the earth is shaking, the some-hundred feet thick layer of that brown sponge-ish stone just eats it up.

However, there've been three earthquakes that I remember (one when I was a toddler, and two just two or three years ago (one was 5.something)), and it was very, very scary for me.

Take care!

5:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home