Wednesday, April 05, 2006

INTJ? WTF?

Ten years ago I first learned about the whole concepts of Meyers-Briggs personality typing. I took a test online that told me I was an ISTJ. A year later my company sent me to a two-day waste of time personality-typing offsite where I was tested and, once again, found out I was an ISTJ.

Fast forward ten years. I'm reading Atari Age's blog and found that he's an ISFJ. Okay, I think, I'll take the test again and see what happens. I do, and guess what? My S has turned into an N: I'm now an INTJ.

Hmmm. The guy who ran the aforementioned offsite, the author of Type Talk at Work, was very insistent that personality types do not change. So I took another variant of the test. It also says I'm an INTJ.

So what should I conclude from this? I see four possibilities:
1. The whole personality-type concept is crap.
2. The tests I'm taking are not accurate.
3. I've changed.
4. I know myself better than I did ten years ago.

At this point, I'm leaning towards #4 (with perhaps some #3 thrown in). One big changes is that I didn't write ten years ago. Now I'm writing stories about anthromorphic cans of dog food. Apparently that sort of creativity is common with "N" people, but that quality of my personality wouldn't have been apparent to me ten years ago.

But then there's this, from the INTJ description I linked to earlier:

Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel. While they are capable of caring deeply for others (usually a select few), and are willing to spend a great deal of time and effort on a relationship, the knowledge and self-confidence that make them so successful in other areas can suddenly abandon or mislead them in interpersonal situations.

This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals; for instance, they tend to have little patience and less understanding of such things as small talk and flirtation (which most types consider half the fun of a relationship). To complicate matters, INTJs are usually extremely private people, and can often be naturally impassive as well, which makes them easy to misread and misunderstand. Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense. This sometimes results in a peculiar naivete, paralleling that of many Fs -- only instead of expecting inexhaustible affection and empathy from a romantic relationship, the INTJ will expect inexhaustible reasonability and directness.

That's me. Right there.

But there is some good news:

Although as Ts they do not always have the kind of natural empathy that many Fs do, the Intuitive function can often act as a good substitute by synthesizing the probable meanings behind such things as tone of voice, turn of phrase, and facial expression. This ability can then be honed and directed by consistent, repeated efforts to understand and support those they care about, and those relationships which ultimately do become established with an INTJ tend to be characterized by their robustness, stability, and good communications.

Something for me to work on.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nathan said...

So similar. But I am an INFJ...the difference being that I am "Feeling" and you are "Thinking"... you insensitive claud :)

But yeah I'm fascinated by the Myers Briggs theory.

8:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home