Thursday, March 30, 2006

Playwriting final.

Okay, I'm back from my playwriting final. The way this works is that you put your plays into a box, and they get pulled out more or less and random. Each person was supposed to write one 3 page play; I wrote three, without telling anyone what I was planning. Here's what I wrote:

The Destiny of Purina -- About an anthropomorphic can of beef dog food in a vegan home. It gets thrown out, so despite wanting to be eaten (thus fulfilling its destiny), the can ends up in a landfill, where it will sit, alone, for centuries.

At the Factory -- A scene from a neo-facist version of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

A Really Bad...Restaurant -- A man is trying to propose to his girlfriend, but the waiter (who is sort of a god in this world) keeps interfering. The joke in this play is that I packed in as many bad theatrical choices as I could (transitions that are too short, underused characters, upstaging, gratuitous swearing, a ponderous monologue, and a character that has just one line, at the end).

Each of my plays had the line "I'd like a garden salad. With a nice vinaigrette." at some point, but no one picked up on that as a hint that they were all written by the same person (though they remembered it afterwards when I mentioned it).

And that's it for playwriting this quarter. I'm taking it again next quarter, of course, but that won't start for three weeks. Having the break is nice, but I'm going to miss having my weekly fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home