Sunday, March 26, 2006

Dinner and a Show

For KK's birthday last night we went to dinner, and the aforementioned show at Cobb's Comedy Club.

Dinner: it was a lot of fun. I got to sit next to KK's parents, who are great to be around. I saw some friends I hadn't seen in a while.

We ate at a tapas restaurant in North Beach. For those of you unfamiliar with tapas, let me explain the concept to you. In Spain, it's little dishes of free bar snacks. In America, it's still little and still snack-sized, so you end up buying several of them, but each dish costs as much as an entree at, say, Applebee's.

So you spend $40, and when you leave you're still so hungry that you go to the pizza place next door and get a couple of slices. Fortunately, we were able to skip this step last night. Cobb's serves food, a fact that about half of our party took advantage of.

Now, lest you think I'm complaining, I will say that I knew what I was getting into, and I spent about as much as I expected to. If anything, I spent a good part of last night just laughing at the absurdity of it all (whispered to the friend next to me: "do you think that if we call a pizza place, we can get something delivered here?").

The show was at Cobb's was hilarious. Both Hal Sparks, and his opener, Dan Rothenberg were very funny. Hal is very physical, and uses his body more than any other comedian I've ever seen.

Dan, though, provided what was for me the most memorable line of the evening. He's mostly straight, but had a gay period when he lived in the Castro ten years ago (damn, why the hell didn't I meet him?). Here's his (heavily paraphrased) observation of gay vs. straight sex:
There's a lot more surprise with gay sex. With straight sex, people just fall into their roles. With gay sex, you never know what's going to happen. Get two tops together, and it's 'checkers, anyone?'.

Ain't that the truth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home