Thursday, April 13, 2006

Adam & Steve

Last night I caught Adam & Steve at the Castro Theatre in San Francisco (it's apparently the only theatre in the Bay Area at which it's appearing, and only for one week, hence my mid-week drive to the City).

In the late '90s, my friends and I would get very excited at the announcement of a new gay romantic comedy. Hot guys! On screen! Being romantic! But after the fifth or sixth movie about a young gay guy who works at an amusement park and plays baseball in his spare time, falling in love with his HIV+, piano-playing, peppermint foot lotion loving boyfriend, the novelty wore off. The upside to this is that I no longer expect gay romantic comedies to be anything other than light entertainment.

Which is good, because that's all Adam & Steve was.

But I enjoyed it. The acting, with one or two exceptions, was good. The story was predictable, but engaging. The strength of the movie is that it has a whole host of distinct, and funny, characters.

If you didn't catch it in the theatres, don't worry. The theatrical release is pretty limited, so I think it will be on DVD quickly (Netflix already has it in its database).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home