Friday, February 10, 2006

Why film acting is better than stage acting

The second play I ever performed in was called Tender Lies. The author learned of this technique of having a character "cover" scene changes by giving a monologue. Unfortunately, what she didn't realize is that you shouldn't give these monologues to your main character. So in addition to a full line load, I had a number of monologues to recite, averaging about 1.5 pages each (one was over two pages!).

In The Valley of Fear, I'm probably as close as they come to a main character. This weekend I go up for my second night of filming. Here is my entire line load:

  1. What you are doing?
  2. S'mores? S'mores? You're making s'mores? What would Flinty say?
  3. No s'mores! No marshmallows. No graham crackers! No fucking s'mores!

(Trust me, it makes sense in context).

And if I mess up, we just do another take.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home