Sunday, January 15, 2006

Filters

First, a big thank you to Atari_Age for posting my blog's first comment. You should all go read his blog, The Lost Find.

And yeah, as he said, I've got filters.

For a long time I wouldn't even consider blogging for this reason. Then I said "hell with it", got a LiveJournal, wrote in it every day, but never got around to telling anyone about it. Even now, there are probably only a couple of my real-world friends who know about this blog.

Why? I don't know. I'm like this in real life as well: a private person who doesn't like to talk about himself. Oh, I'll talk my job, my acting, my travelling, but the point at which I shut down and stop sharing comes a lot sooner than most people.

Unfortunately, this applies to my Internet persona as well. For me, the on-line world and the physical world have always felt almost equally real. Maybe because when I was a closeted teenager the computer was a refuge from having to deal with being gay. Maybe because I'm a big-old introverted engineer. Maybe because I don't really believe in anonymity.

In any event, while many (most?) people can partition off the online world, creating alternate personas and being a lot more free online than in real life, I have never been able to. Hence my reluctance to blog.

But that's something that I'd like to work on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home