Monday, January 23, 2006

Writing

There are two reasons why I didn't update this blog much last week:

1. The biggest thing in my life is my job change, which I didn't want to write about until Friday.
2. I've been doing a lot of non-blog writing.

As I've mentioned before, I write plays. I had a couple of short plays produced at Foothill College last year. I finished my first full-length play last year as well, and last week finished the first draft of a second full-length, called (for now) The Arrival.

Whenever someone asks a writer "how do I become a writer?" the response is "write every day." So that's what I try to do. I try to set aside an hour every day to write plays, and I feel like I've done well if I've written 500 words. A full-length play is about 9,000-10,000 words, though, oddly, it always take a lot longer than 20 days to finish

So I get home from work, procrastinate for far too long, then do my hour of playwriting. By the time that's done, it's 8:30 or 9:00 and I don't feel like writing anymore (and even if I do, often I feel I should update my private journal instead).

Tonight and tomorrow I will work on revising the aforementioned draft. The end of Act II feels rushed and unrealistic, probably because I was pushing hard to finish it last week. I'd like to get it revised before my playwriting class on Wednesday, as we'll probably have a cold reading of the entire act.

And, because I started my new job today, I owe myself a detailed journal entry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home