Saturday, April 07, 2007

Live Blogging of Gone with the Wind

Once I finished using Netflix to get caught up on Lost, I started renting regular movies. One category I've been renting is something I can classify as "movies I should have seen, but have never gotten around to", such as Rocky and Jaws.

One movie that falls into this category is Gone with the Wind. I almost watched it on TV a few years ago, but when I discovered it's four hours long, I decided not to. Well, Netflix sent it to me a couple of weeks ago, so I've finally watched it (spread out over two nights). And after I watched the first five minutes, I realized that I had to live-blog my viewing.

So I give you Gone with the Wind:

Disk 1:

0:00 -- Overture (?)
0:01 -- Hit button to skip to next section
0:03 -- Credits!
0:06 -- Credits over. But now an introductory text.
0:07 -- The first spoken line! No wonder this movie is four hours long.
0:13 -- Mammy. Wow. Stereotypicus maximus.
0:17 -- Scarlet definitely needs a bigger hat.
0:22 -- Clark Gable!
0:27 -- Don't any of the Southerners in this movie speak with a Southern accent?
0:30 -- 1/8th of the way through.
0:36 -- The war has started at last!
0:39 -- Dr. Meade looks exactly like Waldorf.
0:48 -- "You should be kissed. And often. And by someone who knows how." You go, Clark!
1:02 -- Only 25% of the way through the movie and Sherman has arrived already. No sign of Peabody.
1:04 -- That's leg's got to go. Ugh.
1:11 -- 35 days of "Siege" and not a single building is damaged.
1:18 -- Prissy. Even worse than Mammy.
1:25 -- Fire!
1:39 -- Don't any of the slaves in this film have the urge to, you know, run away?
1:44 -- They built in an intermission! This is where disk 1 ends.


Disk 2:

0:00 -- "Entr'acte"
0:02 -- Start of disk 2: "And the wind swept through Georgia...Sherman!" Still no sign of Peabody.
0:03 -- White Southerners picking cotton. Heh.
0:06 -- Scarlet 1, North 0
0:10 -- The war is over.
0:11 -- Someone should tell Mammy that slavery has been abolished.
0:20 -- Again with accents: it's hard watching the Ashley/Scarlet scene with Ashley sounding like FDR.
0:26 -- Clark Gable: he's been held barn doubling as a jail for days (weeks?) and he still has perfect hair.
0:38 -- This is the point where I stopped for the night.
0:39 -- "Darkies"?
0:52 -- Men just don't last long married to Scarlet, do they?
1:05 -- Rhett is now married to Scarlet. Uh oh.
1:09 -- They have a baby!
1:12 -- Scarlet has a 20 inch waist? Wow.
1:16 -- That was a nice door. Why did Rhett have to kick in down?
1:22 -- Uh oh.
1:33 -- "A good lashing with a buggy whip"?
1:36 -- A kitten! Yay!
1:38 -- Oops!
1:44 -- Oh crap.
1:48 -- They're dropping like flies!
1:58 -- "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."
2:00 -- The end

Whew!

Oops, not quite:
2:01 -- "Exit Music"
2:05 -- And we're done. For real.

Next in my Netflix queue: Poster Boy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Darin said...

ROFL.

That was classic!!!

8:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home