Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Smile

I was walking home from work today, feeling pretty depressed about...I'm not sure what. Work. Life. Things feel a little out-of-kilter in my life right now, and I make sure to obsess about these feelings until they grow like the Bougainvillea outside my front door.

So I'm crossing the street, black cap pulled low over my head, listening to some Deepsky that I downloaded from ETN onto my iPod, and all of a sudden a handsome young man comes jogging by.

Usually when this happens my first instinct is not to look the guy in the face. Social anxiety and all that. But I know this is not a good thing, so I braced myself, and looked up. His eyes met mine and he gave me a friendly little smile as he jogged past.

And I instantly felt better.

It was nothing. I'm sure he's not gay. I'm sure he was just being polite. Still, it was enough.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I can't say I know exactly how you feel, I've been struggling with some major social anxiety issues myself. Hope you are doin' better. ;)

1:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home