Monday, January 15, 2007

Friday Night With My Kitchen Knife

Well, I suppose I should expand on my somewhat cryptic Friday night post.

About 7:00 on Friday evening I was cleaning my big, sharp cook's knife, when I slipped and cut my right index finger. I don't want to get too graphic, but let's just say the cut was both big and deep enough so that I knew I had to get it looked at right away.

So I headed off to the urgent care clinic with my finger wrapped in paper towel. By the time I get there, it's 7:30. I'm thinking "7:30 on a Friday night: I should be in and out in no time".

Ha.

The first clue was that the parking lot was so full that I had trouble finding a spot. Finally I found a spot, parked, and went in, where I discovered a waiting room full of people. I signed in, paid my copayment, and sat down.

I ended up waiting for an hour.

Eventually (after I went through every news magazine they had, including a copy of The Economist from October, 2005), they got me in. It took the doctor about 35 minutes to get the wound numbed, cleaned, and stitched up, and then to give me a tetanus shot. But then they asked me to remain for an additional 20 minutes, to ensure that I didn't have a reaction to the shot. So by the time I was done, it was 9:30.

It was pretty sore that night, and on Saturday, but it doesn't really hurt now (as long as I don't try to grip anything). No nerve or tendon damage, as far as I can tell. I get the stitches out a week from today.

How was your weekend?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jimmi said...

Nothing like spending a Friday night at a hospital/clinic...

11:41 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

See, this is why I think cooking is wrong.

I hope you heal quickly!

9:20 AM

 
Blogger DanNation said...

I've had kinda of a shitty weekend, but no time in the ER at least. Hope its getting better.

5:07 PM

 
Blogger Rian said...

You know that you're not supposed to cut yourself with a knife, don't you?!

Anyway, I'm glad it's not too serious. Get better and take care!

6:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home