Monday, November 20, 2006

Regrets


"It's really cool. The only problem is that it's hard to find anything on it."

- Adam Katz, from a presentation on the World Wide Web he gave for a class on multimedia we both were taking in graduate school, April, 1994.

Jared Christopher over at Completely Naked has a post on regrets and what he'd do differently.

What do I regret?

I regret not working at an Internet startup in the '90s.

On the other hand, all through the dot-com bust I was employed. I dream that, with a few different choices, I could have been employee #10 at Yahoo. But in reality I could have easily ended up at Webvan. Or Pets.com. Still, I wonder what would have happened if I'd said "what if..." to myself during Adam's talk.

I regret not having lived in San Francisco when I was in my 20s.

On the other hand, had I lived in SF, I probably would not own my own home now (or, if I did, it would be a lot smaller, or I'd have a much bigger mortgage).

For a long time I regretted not coming out earlier than I did (23).

Now, I don't think it would have made any difference.

For a long time, I had a lot of regrets. Now, for most of them, I've come to one of two conclusions. For the first batch, I think I honestly did the best I could, and I've forgiven myself for not doing better. For the rest I've decided that, like coming out, it wouldn't have made any difference had I don't things differently, or things could have turned out much worse.

So I find myself not regretting a lot right now.

But I can also see that if I'm going to maintain this state, there are a few things that I need to address.

Soon.

But then, isn't that always the case?

3 Comments:

Blogger Alan Bennett Ilagan said...

"Regrets... I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention..."

Most of my regrets are for having done something, as opposed to not doing something, and it's hard to consider them regrets because they all contributed to the mess I am today - and I'm rather fond of that mess. Like you said, at the worst, they're learning experiences. At best, it wouldn't have made any difference. You turned out decently - what's to regret?

"The record shows, I gave the blows, and did it my way..."

7:37 PM

 
Blogger DanNation said...

I regret you don't live in the city! Hope you're around this weekend.

12:12 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with sorted lives, neverh old regrets. We do what we do given the choices and circumstances at the time. Hey new blog! Follow the link!

6:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home