Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Salon

I got an email today from The Meeting Game Salon

5-Minute Dating - San Francisco
Friday, October 6th, 6:30-8:30pm

I went to the first-ever gay speed dating event run by this organization, nearly ten years ago.

(And I still have no idea what they mean by "Salon")

Speed Dating for Gay Men.

All I remember of it is that they bought a lot of dessert from the fanciest, most expensive dessert place in the Bay Area and put it out for sale. The cake started out at $5/slice. No one bought it.

The price dropped sharply as the evening progressed.

Enjoy short, structured, individual conversations with as many gay/bi
men as you can "date" in one night.

The last time I went speed-dating was in 2001. Two memories of that. First, I made the mistake of mentioning that I was taking Mandarin classes. Everyone thus assumed that I was a rice queen (I'm not).

Confidentially select those you'd like to see again, and be notified of those who feel the same way about you!

My second memory is that, aside from my friends, I was the youngest person there. By ten years.

"A shorthand version of a year's worth of dates!"(tm)

Well, that should go by fast.
(Lord, did they really trademark that cumbersome phrase?)

First Unitarian Church
1187 Franklin Street at Geary

It's at the same place as in 2001. Thank Jesus for the Unitarians.

Admission is $25 advance, or $30 day of the event, on a space-available basis.

I doubt I'd get much out of it. Plus, it's a hassle to get up to San Francisco by 6:30 on a weeknight (traffic and all that).

Still...

1 Comments:

Blogger DanNation said...

OMG - let me know if you do this - I've always wanted to know what these are like!

11:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home